Start Your 2018 De-Cluttering with A Checklist
Happy New Year everyone! I'm back! I've been on a few weeks of hiatus from my blog to keep myself sane from the hustle and bustle of the holiday season. But I'm glad to have been able to just spend quality time with my husband, friends and loved ones during the holidays. I feel so recharged and eager to kick start my goals this 2018!
How about you? Is de-cluttering and organization part of your 2018 goals? If they are, I really hope this post can help you get started and give you the encouragement you need to stay on track.
Let me share with you my secret in achieving my home de-cluttering goal.
Following the KonMari method, I created a checklist of all the items that I need to de-clutter in my home. Along with the "Spark Joy" book, this checklist gave me a clear direction on what items to tackle first and guide me to work my way towards the rest. Every box I tick off gives me a sense of fulfillment! If you wish to have a copy, I'm sharing a downloadable file of this checklist below! It's free and printable! It is an extensive list so I hope you find it useful! It contains some tips and reminders on how to de-clutter a certain category as well. Just click on the link below to download the PDF file.
Before you Start...
But before you start (especially if you are new to my blog), here are some reminders to help you prepare for this journey!
- If you wish to have a more joyful approach to de-cluttering, I really recommend you to know more about the Konmari Method. You can learn more about it through the books, "The Life Changing Magic of Tidying" and "Spark Joy" by Marie Kondo.
- De-cluttering and organization do not happen overnight. It can be a grueling and tiring activity physically, mentally and emotionally. Be equipped with the right knowledge and mindset before you dive in. I've shared my tidying mistakes in this post and I hope you learn from them too.
- Remember that de-cluttering should be done as a "one time - big time" activity. You can take it slowly over the course of a few weeks or plan to tackle it in one long weekend but you need to commit to go through ALL your items per category. Here are some tips to get you started!
- Letting go of your possessions is expected to be difficult (at first). You can check out my tips here to help you go through the process easier.
- Do not invest on any storage solutions until you've finished de-cluttering. You'll be surprised to see that you don't actually need alot!.
- Most importantly, create and follow a de-cluttering plan. As the modern day proverb goes, "failing to plan is planning to fail". There could be a million items cluttered around your house, so not having a checklist and order for de-cluttering will surely take you forever to finish!
Click HERE for a free downloadable version of my de-cluttering checklist.
Here's to wishing you a fun, meaningful and fulfilling de-cluttering this 2018!